SEP offers a wealth of resources for its UCSF volunteer and SFUSD teacher participants.
Partnership Program Resources
If you are a participant in one of SEP's partnership programs (either a UCSF volunteer or an SFUSD teacher), please follow this link to access important documents and forms for SEP's Partnership Program Participants.
Daly Ralston Resource Center
The Daly Ralston Resource Center is a lending library that houses more than 3,000 science materials for hands-on science and health lessons. The Resource Center collection includes organs, models, microscopes and other equipment, and "kits"—essentially a lesson in a box—that can be used for lessons. The Resource Center is staffed by science educators who can help you plan your lesson(s).
Any SFUSD teacher or UCSF volunteer working in SFUSD’s schools can borrow materials for free.
For lesson ideas, check out SEPLessons, an online library of lesson plans developed by teachers and scientists in SEP’s partnership programs. SEP program participants can also use its lesson planning tool to facilitate collaboration as they plan lessons together.
- Download Anatomy of a Lesson Plan, a tool that will help you generate a lesson plan.
- Download Strategies for Involving all Students, suggestions for giving students opportunities to talk about science, handle materials, and think for themselves.
Teacher Created Resources
Teachers in SEP’s SF Science program created resources to help other elementary school teachers with FOSS kits, Family Science Nights, Science Fairs, Assessment, and more!
Other Science Education Resources
SEP has complied a list of other resources that you may find useful in your creating and doing hands-on science lessons in the classroom. This list is not complete. Please feel free to let us know about other resources that you find valuable.
Sources for organs for dissection (primarily in the San Francisco Area), always call and check with the company to see if they have organs available, (many require advanced ordering time of up to 2-3 weeks:
|Type of Organ||Company||Website||Phone #||Address|
|Sheep Brains||Carolina Biological||http://www.carolina.com/||800-334-5551|
|Squid||J.R. Seafood||http://jrseafood.net/home||415-647-0106||310 BayShore Boulevard San Francisco, CA 94124|
|Cow's Eye's||C&M (Meats)||http://www.cmmeat.com/||510-848-3460||2843 San Pablo Ave Berkeley, CA 94702|
|Sheep Hearts||Guerra Quality Meats
||http://www.guerrameats.com||415-826-4600||2989 24th St San Francisco, CA 94110|
|Sheep Hearts||Drewes Meats||http://www.drewesmeats.com/||415-821-0515||1706 Church Street (@29th St.)|
|Sheep Hearts||Golden Gate Meat Company||http://www.goldengatemeatcompany.com/||415-861-3800|
|Sheep Hearts||Belmar La Gallinita Meat Market||415-826-4600||2989 24th St San Francisco, CA 94110|
Sources for Dry Ice (primarily in the San Francisco Area), always call and check to see if they have dry ice available.
|Type of Material||Company||Website||Phone #||Address|
|Dry Ice||SF Ice Co.||http://www.praxair.com/
||415-826-8627||1690 Evans Ave. San Francisco, CA 94124|
|Dry Ice||Praxair||http://www.sfice.com/services.html||415-431-8818||45 Williams Ave., San Francisco, CA|
|Dry Ice||United Liquors||415-567-0580||2401 Chestnut St, San Francisco, CA 94123|
|Dry Ice||Lucky Supermarket||415-923-6411||1750 Fulton St, San Francisco, CA 94117|
Sources for other science supplies (Owl Pellets, insects, other invertebrates, vertebrates, FOSS live creatures, microscopes and other science education equipment)
|Carolina Biological||http://www.carolina.com/||800-334-5551||North Carolina|
Science Supports from SFUSD's Science Department
- This document downloadable here, outlines SFUSD's offerings of supports for SFUSD Elementary School Teachers for the 2015-2016 school year. The supports include FOSS materials, ordering living organisms and professional development offerings available for your school site.
More information can be found at www.sfusdscience.org.
Science Education Lesson Plans:
- How to Smile: http://howtosmile.org/
- Teach Genetics: http://teach.genetics.utah.edu/ and related materials (for students) Learn Genetics : http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/
- SCRAP SF (Creative reuse of materials that traditionally have been discarded as waste): http://www.scrap-sf.org/
- BioLink Depot (free science supplies and Equipment): https://www.ccsf.edu/Resources/Bio-Link_Depot/
- RAFT- Resource Area For Teachers (RAFT's products (Activity Kits & Idea Sheets), services (professional development and mentoring) and low-cost teaching supplies- membership $40, multiple locations) - http://www.raft.net/
Science Lending Libraries:
- The Science Education Resource Center (SERC) at San Jose State University (open to all pre-service and in-service teachers in the Bay Area): http://serc.sjsu.edu/
- The SEPAL Resource Center at San Francisco State University houses hands-on, minds-on science education materials that are available for checkout: http://www.sfsusepal.org/resources/sepal-resources/sepal-resource-center/
- Project ASTRO/Astronomical Society of the Pacific: All active Project ASTRO Participants are eligible to check out materials from the Bay Area Lending Library. http://www.astrosociety.org/edu/astro/bayarea/library.html